Wednesday 4 April 2012

My Personality Tests

I chose two different types of tests to evaluate my own personality: MBTI and DISC.
MBTI due it’s narrowed questions that recall day-to-day activities and take in consideration past experiences.
DISC because it takes in consideration levels of agreements with the statements instead of straight yes/no questions.



ME PERSONALITY RESULT WAS --> ESFJ:
Extroverted, Sensing, Feeling, Judging.



As suggested by Myers, McCaulley, Quenk, & Hammer (1998),  ESFJs are at their best: warm, sympathetic, helpful, cooperative, tactful, down-to-earth, practical, thorough, consistent, organized, enthusiastic, and energetic. They enjoy tradition and security, and will seek stable lives that are rich in contact with friends and family.
Bibliography


The outcome was very similar to what I consider and understand of my own. I researched thru two different sources to get a better picture of my own personality. During this research I found out a couple of remarkable people with the same profile as mine and curiously I personally identified myself with some of Martin Luther King Jr. principles and conduct/behavior as well as share Eleanor Roosevelt’s ideals of freedom and equal rights, both with the same personality profile. 


This result also meets my learning style. According to (Mumford, 1997), my profile is known as the Activist, someone who needs to be involved in new experiences and often get the best out when working with others or teams tasks, leading discussions or solving issues that requires deep understanding. 
As a counterpoint, by having an Extroverted personality added with an Activist learning style, I learn less when I must pay full attention to one source only as a Lecturer or a book. 
This is a strong opportunity that I tend to transform into fortress by the end of my MBA in London where theoretical concepts and critical analysis will be necessary to get the Masters degree.

Indeed I am an extroverted person, and it is shown on the way I interact with people, always full of energy, ready to listen to provide help, and most of the times with a regular sense of humor in everything. In a way, the external world provides me with energy to complete my day to day tasks. I also try to learn from peoples experience and share my own to make my identity clear and to help people understand my point of view. Usually I have friends seeking for my opinion and advice on personal matters.


Being extroverted has positive and negative aspects, and I do recognize that extroverted people can be inconvenient in some situations where you need to  respect people's space and timing, as well as their non extroverted profile. ESFJ's tend to be excessively controlling to fulfill it's necessity for order and guarantee the wellfare of others and also inefficient when working on it's own due to the difficulty of focusing into one single task. I do recognize this characteristics and it takes a step by step approach to reduce such invasive traits. My self awareness is a good cornerstone for this evolution.


In my understanding, my personality was shaped basically due to my father which was by nature very expansive and had a strong presence in whatever situation he was and was dominant personality over groups of people. Secondly, having a Sales background on a very competitive environment, where some of the required traits for that position is to be very communicative and self-confident to develop long lasting relationships with consumers and customers also helped me develop my extroversion.


I also easily talk about my feelings and often write about them. I used to write poems and texts a couple of years ago, and as I grew up, I realized all my writings were based on concrete experiences and what I was feeling by that moment. Also when it comes down to decision making, I often use my feeling or gut feeling rather than thinking on what would be the next steps or outcomes. I tend to act first, think afterwards.


Being sensitive and taking attention to feelings also has negative aspects, as per Keirsey (1998), what makes Providers (ESFJ's personality) the most easy going type is it's extreme sensitivity to feelings for others which in the other hand makes them very aware and sensitive of what others think of them, so in this case any wrong perceptions of an interaction may generate a big misunderstanding.
My name means "God of Justice" and this is particularly shown in my MBTI profile when it states that Sensing People generally give more wight into social implications and consequences above any other logic to make their decisions.


Turning now to how I orient myself to the external world, I base my decisions and impressions on my own values and principles, that is, I use my own judgement, which can be very helpful when I am interacting with people from my own culture, but could be a disaster on a multi-cultural environment. When it comes down to plan further achievements or a simple vocation for example, I indeed plan every step in advance to make sure there will be no surprises during that period. This is, in a way a sense of controlling the situation thru predictability.


When I researched over the DISC personality test I also found out other important aspects. The questionnaire resulted on a high index of Influence and Steadiness. Both traits can be translated into a more sympathetic approach to develop people skills. As I mentioned on previous posts, one of the feedbacks I received from my previous boss in Procter&Gamble was the ability to influence people to have a more focused and "relaxed" approach towards it's duties, as well as provide balance and steadiness to the team even under high pressure situations such as monthly closures.
In my opinion this is a great characteristic, although it also provides some opportunities on the other hand. Whenever I face situations where I have limited boundaries, that is, I cannot exert my influence or control the situation, I tend to get a bit tense and unfulfilled, with a probability to vastly disengage from the task.  This is also a opportunity that I will observe more closely as I develop myself as a Leader in both, professional and personal life.

To conclude, I feel happy to deeply evaluate myself using two different approached and reading thru the results under different perspectives to get a clearer picture of myself as a Human Being.
Being able to to learn a lot more about where and how my decisions and behaviors come from was a great experience and will help me enhance my skills as life goes on.

Keirsey, D. (1998). Please Understand Me (Vol. II). Prometheus Nemesis Book Co.




Mumford, A. (1997). How to manage your learning environment. Peter Honey Publications.



Myers, I. B., McCaulley, M. H., Quenk, N., & Hammer, A. (1998). MBTI Handbook: A Guide to the development and use of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (3rd Edition ed.). Consulting Psychologists Press.


1 comment:

  1. Taking these tests have many advantages. It makes an individual to know his or her personality.

    ReplyDelete