Monday 2 April 2012

Creativity

During the Residential weekend we also had opportunity to enhance our creativity thru numerous tasks as I posted on previous posts (please refer to MLK Loading Natufit Commercial and Song about group).

But what is Creativity? What makes some people more creative than others? Is it because they are raised in creative environments where they were encouraged to express their creativity? Or it is simply genetical and people are born that way?
Theories and relevant theorists contributed to the development of Creativity such as the Psychoanalytical Theory of Creativity (Freud, Jung, Adler), Mental Illnes Theory of Creativity (Briggs) and the Eyesenk's Theory of Psychoticism.

Personally, I see myself as a very creative person, that captures inputs and insights from the widest ranges of sources and mix them all together to try and find different solutions for old or new problems. I tend to believe that repeated decisions will lead to similar outcomes, so I seek the opposite. The sources that feeds my creativity and pulls the trigger for my mind are observational/visual tools as well as own experiences and day-to-day situations as listening from people's experiences, for example.

I researched for Creativity questionnaires and tests to better understand how I can enhance my learnings from all sorts of situations and take advantage to develop my biggest opportunities.  The one that caught my attention is called Right Brain vs Left Brain on http://www.wherecreativitygoestoschool.com.


In this test I found three major outcomes that really made sense when I look back to my learning style and decision making/solution creation processes. 

* First aspect is that my right part of the brain is the dominant side with 52% of brain activity, which makes me a creative thinker who uses feeling and intuition to gather information. What pulls my trigger when it comes down to retain information is through the use of images and patterns. 

* Second outcome was something that I have always heard from my bosses back in Procter & Gamble: My rationales were never simple/objective, but my excessive complexity always contributed with interesting and different solutions. The test pointed out that my thoughts sometimes may appear illogical and meandering, since I use a lot of free associations to find solutions for issues.

* Third major outcome was that I identified within one of my biggest opportunities, Fantasy Oriented Analysis, a great gift. This low score aligned with other fortress allows me to use reality and creativity to process informations. On the corporate world for instance, it allows me to work with regulations and rules and generate creative solutions at the same time.
On the other hand, I do have a lack of "symbolic" analysis (the lowest score on the left side of the brain) that deals with more abstract issues and requires holistic approaches. 

I have also learnt that I do have the ability to take a step back and look at the whole picture to get a better understanding. My creativity standards help me to visualize the "big picture" first and than work with the pieces from the inside out to re-create it.

I would like to illustrate this example with one of the tasks executed during the residential weekend which was directed to measure the level of creativity within the group.
We were provided with a picture from Philipp Otto Runge called WE THREE and we were free to make any analysis or metaphor over this image.
I took a look on the whole picture and easily created a story from what we were experiencing at that competition on the residential weekend. 
My reasoning was quite direct and constructed from the inside-out.
As per my vision this picture showed MLK group on the right hand side, standing confident and aware of it's leadership position. (by that time, we were already leading the competition). Although we knew we were in good shape, our customers, the market (symbolized by the lady) trusted us, as she was laying on our shoulders and had her hands around us, but we were aware that with a blink of an eye she could betray us with competition (symbolized by the man on the left side), that was taking advantage of our good work, since our business decisions were generating more demand than we could supply. 


Bibliography


Vancouver, T. A. (n.d.). Where Creativity goes to School. Retrieved from Art institute of Vancouver: http://www.wherecreativitygoestoschool.com/vancouver/left_right/rb_results.pl#Concrete




No comments:

Post a Comment